Doman Building Materials Group Ltd.(“Doman”)is committed to providing accessibility for all our customers. In fulfilling our core value of being ‘customer centric’, Doman is committed to providing customer service that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. As required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with DisabilitiesAct, the following policy outlines the company’s commitment in meeting the requirements of the AODA and ensures that persons with disabilities are given an equal opportunity to obtain, use and benefit from the goods and services.
Dignity – service is provided in a way that allows the person with a disability to maintain self-respect and the respect of other people. People with disabilities are not treated as an afterthought or forced to accept lesser service, quality or convenience.
Independence – allowing a person with a disability to do things on their own without unnecessary help, or interference from others.
Integration – service is provided in a way that allows the person with a disability to benefit from the same services, in the same place, and in the same or similar way as other customers, unless an alternate measure is necessary to enable the person to access goods or services.
Equal opportunity – people with disabilities have an opportunity equal to that given to others to access your goods or services.
This policy applies to:
- All business units operating in Ontario providing goods or services to the public or to other businesses or organizations.
- Employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors who deal with the public or other third parties that act on behalf of Doman Building Materials Group Ltd.
Doman is committed to training staff on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on accessibility aspects of the Human Rights Code that apply to persons with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
- Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Information and Communication
Doman is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will communicate with people who have disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- When asked, we will provide information and communications materials in accessible formats or with communication supports. This includes publicly available information about our goods, services and facilities, as well as publicly available emergency information.
- We will train staff and volunteers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
Doman is committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices.
- We will ensure that people are permitted to use their own personal devices to access our premises that are open to the public.
- We will familiarize our staff with various assistive devices that might be used by customers with disabilities accessing our premises.
Service Animals and Support Persons
Doman welcomes people with disabilities who use either a service animal or support persons.
- We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
- We welcome people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
2) Notice of Temporary Disruption
Doman will notify our customers in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities.
- We will clearly post this notice that will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
- We will post the notice at all affected Doman locations.
Doman will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. Training will also be provided to people involved in the development of policies, plans, practices and procedures related to the provision of our goods and services.
This training will be provided to staff as a part of the orientation process and will be conducted within the first month of hire.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Doman’s plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use equipment or devices available on the premises or otherwise available that may help with the provision of goods, services or facilities to a person with a disability.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing the provider’s goods, services or facilities.
4) Feedback process
Doman shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the service provided to persons with disabilities. Information about the feedback process will be readily available to all customers. Feedback forms along with alternate methods of providing feedback such as verbally (in person or by telephone) or written (hand written or email) will be available upon request.
All feedback will be reviewed by the Director, Human Resources, and complaints will be investigated.
Follow up will be provided to the customer in the format that it was received.
5) Notice of availability
This policy is made available to any member of the public upon request. This policy will also be posted on Doman’s internet website.
6) Modifications to this or other policies
Any of our policies that do not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
7) Questions about this policy
The goal of this policy is to help achieve quality customer services to customers with disabilities. If you have any questions, concerns or require further information please contact:
Director, Human Resources
Doman Building Materials Division
1600-1100 Melville Street, P.O. Box 39, Vancouver BC, V6C 4A6, Canada
Phone : 604-432-1400
For more information on the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act – www.Ontario.ca/AccessON